Croome Court : Built by Lancelot Brown for the 6th Earl of Coventry in the 1750s, the Court is designed to sit perfectly within Brown’s surrounding landscape design. The Court’s neo-classical interiors are by Robert Adam, and compliment a series of carefully set out vistas across Brown’s landscape. The windows of the Court frame landscape ‘pictures’, which draw the eye through woodlands and pasture towards distant stone follies.
The Coventry family sold the estate in 1948, and the estate fell into gradual decline. In 1996, the National Trust purchased 670 acres of the surrounding parkland and began a 10 year restoration project, funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and private donations. At that time the National Trust did not have the funds to acquire and endow the mansion, and has since sought to find a solution to protect its future.